Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 15: Aid & Development


Today was again an early wake up call from our student leader of the day.  We had to eat breakfast earlier than usual because we had to have our LAST academic seminar on Aid and Development…YAHOO! After our aid and development seminar that James and I conducted we had a guest speaker Gertrudis from Fundasep an NGO that works with three counties Aswana, San Juan, Elias Pina and help virtually anyway possible through many departments such as education, housing, health, etc.  She was talking to us about how Fundasep has helped many people in the poorest area of the DR, which happens to be the southwest.  She gave numerous examples far too many for me to remember but it appears that this is one of the largest NGO’s here in the country. 

After her talk we had a field trip to one of the communities where Fundasep has help establish numerous projects.  We boarded the guagua and headed on our 30 minute ride to the community of El Batey.  Our first stop at this community was a bathroom break…too bad the restrooms were locked so we ended going to the church and used theirs.   After our pit stop, we were asked to go to the adjacent building of the church where we were introduced to many of the leaders of the subdivisions of El Batey.  Once all the introductions were done we were treated to a traditional song and dance “El Palo.”  It truly was memorable because I don’t think anyone was expecting that it would sound like the way it did.  The community was so thankful that we had arrived and paid them a visit that they played another song and invited our students to join in and dance.  That for me was nice to see, and it appeared that the students had fun.  As that came to a close a couple of community members recited a few poems and we made our trek throughout the community to see some of Fundasep’s projects.  

We split into two groups and the group that I was in saw the latrines that they were install throughout the community.  From there we went to see the stoves that they are constructing in the houses that use barro and have chimneys so the smoke doesn’t fill the house!  We then went to learn about the hydration program they have for kids and adults so they learn about dehydration.  Our last stop was going to see the aqueduct but we were running pressed for time because of the show the community put for us so we decided to head back to San Juan and go to lunch.  Lunch like always was amazing and so filling that we all said we’re eating too much.  I know for a fact that I have eaten more everyday here that I do on a normal basis…I guess it’s time to hit the gym when I get back! :)

After lunch my CAP group decided to do more price checking for materials for their project.  I am pretty impressed thus far since the students seem to be way ahead of the curve on this and have allotted time and are being very efficient with the budget.  We had some down time once we got back from the hotel and I wanted to go out and get some stuff from the market.  Was it my luck or an omen…but the market was closed…really at 3 pm?!?! Wth…anyway so I came back to the hotel to actually get some rest, which I’ll be honest was nice.  By the time I woke up it was time for dinner, which wasn’t that great…you know me and pasta…but beggars can’t be choosers.  Had a great time with my table group and got in some games of speed and played a round or two of burro. 

After dinner we came back to the hotel and had our nightly meeting, which was nice since it was short and sweet.  We finished early, my student leader of the day wrote the blog and believe it or not I was in bed early yet again…the downfall of the night was the part that I was bit twice while in the lobby as I was waiting for her to finish.  But otherwise it was a chill last Friday in the DR. 

Can’t wait for tomorrow though…FUNDAY at the Mayor’s house!

No comments:

Post a Comment