Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 11: Migration


It was the first night spend at the hotel and although I slept real well, I ended up getting more bug bites.  Must have been the Benadryl I took, which alleviated the pain and the itch, but once I woke up this morning and my right arm was hecka itching and I realized that I have many bites by my elbow and forearm…great.  Breakfast was a light one, but we were thinking that it was because we are going to have a heavy lunch…but that’s a speculation.  After breakfast we had our academic seminar lead by Gloria on Migration, where the students participated in a simulation of a Haitian boy who had a monumental decision to make.

We then boarded the guagua and made our way to Elias Piña where we met with volunteers of RJFS and made our way to the Haiti/Dominican Republic border.  We drove to the immigration service center and we saw many police patrolling the border but they were pretty lax.  Why? Because on Mondays and Fridays the border is open for Haitians to cross so that they can sell products at the Binational Market.  As we waited in the guagua for everything to be in check we also had a pit stop before we would make or trek crossing the border.  As we got ready to cross the first border it wasn’t what I was expecting.  Literally the border between the Dominican Republic and “no man’s land” was literally metal barricades that were painted yellow and read, “Pare Cesparte.”  As we crossed that border we definitely saw the change…it looked dirty, dilapidated and it was pretty worn down…people selling their merchandise and vehicles going back and forth.  As we continued to walk further into “no man’s land” it started clearing out a bit and you could see the amazing scenery and landscape and stopped underneath a large tree, where Abraham from the RJFS spoke to us and gave a history lesson.  He told us that “no man’s land” does not belong to either the DR nor Haiti, but it is surrounded on the north, and east by the DR and south and west by Haiti.  He mentioned the name of the city but I don’t remember it.

He then asked us if we wanted to go to the other end of “no man’s land” to the Haitian border.  I of course was dying to go and hoped that the delegation would say yes!.  After some talking it was decided that we would go to see it.  As I mentioned before, as we walked deeper, and deeper into “no man’s land” you could see the writing on the walls change from Spanish to Creole…which to me looked like French.  As we approached the border again it was not what I expected.  It literally was two metal posts linked by a chain with Haitian Police patrolling it.  I was dying to cross it and step foot in the country but wasn’t keep my hopes up.  But having Abraham from the RJFS helped a lot we literally walked around the chain and walked to the customs/immigration booth where Abraham, tried communicating with the guards.  As luck would have it, as we walked around the chain and into the building, or should I say stand outside the building since we all didn’t fit…we all realized that we were on the opposite side of the border…WE WERE IN HAITI!  We spoke to the police asked questions we stayed a pretty decent 15-20 minutes there and I took pictures! Yeah, I can say that I have seen the entire island of HISPANOLA…haha!

As we walked back and crossed the Haitian border we again walked through no man’s land we were walking away from a calm serene part to the crowded, dirty and boisterous part with the goal of crossing into the DR without any problems.  As we made our way, we literally looked like a blob of people of course “norteamericanos” since we don’t look like a group of Haitians nor Dominican’s we crossed through theyellow “Pare Cesparte” door and just like that—we were back in the DR.  After our nice trek of border crossing we boarded the guagua and made our way to the Binational Market.  The Binational Market, is the market where Haitians sell merchandise to the Dominican’s and vice versa.  As we walked through the market it totally reminded me of the “Flea Market” back home, except more crowded and the nuisance of motorcycles weaving through.  Our RJFS volunteers and tour guides spent a good 20 minutes in the market, before we walked to a nearby comedor to eat lunch.  

During lunch it was nice to mingle with the volunteers of the RJFS and getting their perspective and for how long they have lived in the city of Elias Piña.  As lunch began and people started to line up…of course me being the gentleman was the last one to get in line.  But as my luck would have it there was barely any food left by the time I got there…no moros nor salad and vegetables for me.  The owner saw this and got me a special plate with white rice, albichuela, and beef with chicken.  It literally was really nice of her to do that. 
After lunch, we made the 1.5 guagua ride back to San Juan de la Maguana.  Since we didn’t have Danny Boy our helper I ended up sitting in his seat…sounds cool right?!?! Guess again, every time we had an official checkpoint by the police, I had to open the door so they could look in the guagua to make sure that we weren’t transporting any Haitians into the country.  We totally made it sooner than the allotted time which was nice because it gave us some down time at the hotel where I had the leadership meeting and was able to catch up the news and weather.  I logged onto Face and had several notifications and messages about Tropical Storm Chantal and noticed that we are in its path with a projected landfall in the DR Thursday morning…interesting real interesting the thought of being in the Caribbean when a tropical storm and or hurricane hits is a bit unsettling not going to lie.

As we finished our free time at the hotel and got ready to go to teach our English class we all got our stuff and walked to the school…unfortunately as I made it to the school I realized that I had forgotten the bag of supplies and headed back to the hotel, luckily it was only 3 blocks away, much closer than the prior hotel that we were staying at.  As I sit hear watching the students teach their English classes I can see that the sky is getting darker and clouds are sure rolling in fast.  I set in a desk under the metal eve and noticed that the thunder is getting louder and louder and the lightning is getting brighter and brighter.  As I am typing this sentence, it is pouring and I mean pouring heavily out here…and yeah I am still under the metal eve just waiting to see if it lightens up before we have to trek to the restaurant to eat dinner.  Time to stop typing and see if this rain dies down because if not…I will totally be drenched by the time I eat lunch…will keep you posted.  Btw, it’s officially 7:38 PM as I finish this part of the blog.

The torrential down pour eventually lit up before we had to make our way to dinner so it was nice not walking and getting drenched…we were also so hungry and exhausted because of today’s activities that we could eat a horse.  We were treated to some surprises at dinner…we were given an appetizer which ended up being popcorn and we got soda, Coca Cola to be exact.  Our main entrée though was a hot dog…interesting to see how the Dominican’s prep their dog…LOL! If you’re wondering it’s ketchup, cabbage, mayo and what looks like nacho cheese.  

After dinner we walked to the hotel where we had our nightly meeting…I was so tired because of the Benadryl and a annoyed with the kids on their behavior that the other teacher had to remind them to get back on track and get to business.  When it was all done with, I had to help the student leader of the day write the blog to Global Glimpse website.  Finally done and will hopefully get some well deserved SLEEP! 

Buenas Noches

No comments:

Post a Comment