Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 10: CAP # 1


So today marks half way for our trip...time sure is flying by very quickly.  Another milestone for today is that it’s our moving day to our home hotel.  For the past week we’ve been housed in a temporary hotel, so of course everything in the morning was pretty intense…conduct our English prep seminar, pack our bags and clean our common areas to make sure everything got packed so that we can transfer everything to our home hotel.  The time frame for all this after we had breakfast was 2 hours.  It indeed was hectic, but with everyone’s help we were able to complete the task at hand and load the truck with all our luggage to take us to our home hotel which was only 2 blocks away.  Something to mention is that during this transition time we were down 2 students and one GG leader since they went to the local clinic because they were still ill.
Once the luggage was in the truck, we made our walk to the Hotel D’Angel.  This hotel looked way nicer than the hotel that we were staying at prior it was completely on a different playing field.  We got our welcoming from Angela and had a talk about logistics and the norms of the hotel.  After that brief talk we then got our rooms assigned.  I was just laughing when my name got called because of a couple of things: one, it was the same room number that I got in the prior hotel and two I was again assigned to be the GG leader on the girls floor…so much nicer…LOL!  As we were getting ourselves situation, the other 2 students and James came from the clinic and we were told that the 2 students had an infection…which totally sucks!
  
As I made my way up to my room lugging my suitcase up the long, long flight of stairs I was amused at how close it was to the stairwell which made it easier for me to carry my luggage…haha.  I liked how they put welcome signs on our doors and reminded me like if I was back at my dorm from college.  But once you opened it it was really nice with a spacious bathroom and a decent size living area…I even have a balcony that looks out to the main street which is nice.  Once we got settled to our rooms we had our first CAP (community action project) meeting where we learned about the the 3 d’s, design, discovery, delivery, also during this time we had to remind the students about the rules and certain standards that we have for their own safety, which wasn’t too fun.  Because two of our student s are sick it was my turn to stay with them at the hotel while everyone else went to go visit the community that partnered with us to work with. 
While the students were out for 3 hours I was at the hotel taking care of the students that were sick,  during this time while I was sitting down stairs on the first floor where I got bitten quite a bit from ants, which I didn’t realize until after the fact.  Once the rest of the delegation got back we had 40 minutes to get ready for dinner  and made our trek to the restaurant.  Dinner was entertaining, none the least, loving my table group, keeping it fresh and lively all the time.

After dinner we came back to Hotel D’Angel for our first nightly meeting where we wrapped up early since we have to get up early since we will be going on a field trip to the DR/Haiti border.

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment