Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 14: Tropical Storm Chantal


Waking up this morning to grey skies and rain, is not the way one wants to wake up in the Caribbean, that’s for sure.  But apparently, the worst of the storm hit are area late last night, which honestly wasn’t too bad at least as far as I can see.  We ate breakfast inside in the third floor restaurant since it was still sprinkling outside.  As for breakfast, we had a pretty hefty meal which was interesting since all of our breakfast meals have been pretty light.  

Since we had to cancel our second reality challenge due to the in climate weather we had our Appreciation Letter seminar where Lucy explain what the purpose of the letter is and what should be included in the letter for our donors.  As the students dispersed around the hotel they were allotted one hour to work on their first draft.  After they are done with their first draft they have to submit their letter to the GG leaders so we could edit them and return them back with our corrections and suggestions for a second draft and then their final. 
After our Appreciation Letter Seminar we got into our CAP groups and head over to the community to see get a better picture as to what can be done at the location.  The group I’m overseeing is working at a a recreational play area for the community—basically a safe place where the kids of the community can play.  We took dimensions and pictures of the area and made our way to a hardware store to start pricing the stuff that we are using for the project.  We made our way to lunch since on the schedule it said 12:30 PM…too bad the other CAP group was 40 minutes late so that definitely did not bode well with us; especially when we saw that they had passed by the bakery to get some stuff.  But it was all good, since our group was first to get lunch and yet again…it didn’t disappoint.  

After lunch made it back to the hotel, where we had some free time…YAHOO! My original plan was to go out and run some personal errands…but instead some of the kids asked me if I would go with them and get ice cream and pollo rey…of course I said I would and had to postpone my errand run.  Once we got back from our trip, we made it just in time for CAP meeting…my group being the ever so diligent we finished our part in 30 minutes and had a bit more free time to get ready before we headed to the palace of fine arts to watch the movie The Life of Pi.  It was my first time seeing it and I totally enjoyed the film…not to mention that for two hours I was in an air conditioned room, which is always a plus! 

After the movie we walked to dinner and had a great time since some of the students decide to put on a little bit of a dance routine to help us pass the time.  Once dinner was over we made it back to the hotel and had our nightly meeting.  We finished the nightly meeting pretty fast, because the girls of the group decided to have a “girls night” as for us guys we decided to opt for free time and just do whatever we wanted until it was time for bed time and lights out.  

The fact that this may be my third night in a row that I will be going to bed early is totally worth it, since tomorrow is yet another early day and I totally can use the extra time to rest and relax.  On a separate note can’t believe that two weeks have flown by.  It’s bittersweet that time has flown by…students and leaders are bonding…even though some of them can are bit much at times…and I personally am enjoying the country, learning so much.  But on the other hand, I know that I have to go back home and get back into the groove of things…you know face reality.   Nonetheless, have to enjoy the one week left that I have here in the Dominican Republic and make the best of it…even with the copious bug bites that I have.   Well got to go and take my malaria medicine, before I forget.

Hasta Luego and will be seeing the USA in one week…T-minus 7 days and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment